Thursday, May 14, 2009

Field Trip

Wilsonator's spring field trip was today, and Rayzer and I went along to help. We had a beautiful nature hike at AnneSprings.CloseGreenway and a visit to the nearby horse ranch where one of the 2nd grade teacher boards her horses.

A neat discovery here was at one of the old cabins. The first one we stopped at was the log cabin belonging to Billy.Graham's_Grandfather, and it was full of historical info, tools and other older items dating back into the late 1800's. I found that a neat opportunity to talk to the kids about who Billy.Graham is and his love for the Lord.

The kids also enjoyed climbing the winding staircase of an old silo and checking out the view at the top (see the photos with the windmill in the back). That was Wilsonator's favorite part. One casualty was our little miss Bella in our group who smashed her thumb in the iron gate door at the bottom when she came bounding out of there. I'm pretty certain she's gonna lose that thumbnail, but I decided against disclosing that reality to her and did my best to help comfort her with my measly piece of paper towel soaked in ice water (hey, it's all I had in my cooler on the trail!)

Many of the horses have been giving birth the last few weeks, so it was neat to see a few tiny, fuzzy colts prancing around. The kids were ecstatic to feed the horses their carrots. We brought some gigantic ones from home (my juicing carrots) and the horse actually was biting those in half before chewing them up! The kids didn't hand feed them, but place there carrots and apples into troughs (phew...no more casualities!)

I was fortunate enough to be standing in a fire ant pile while visiting with the teachers, so my little souvenirs to take home were some nice stinging red spots on my ankle today! The weather was gorgeous and I think the kids had lots of fun. God sure has some beautiful country out here in the Carolinas...you really need to come out and check it out!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The scenery looks beautiful! When I lived on the east coast MANY years ago, I was really impressed by how beautiful it was!