Wednesday, June 22, 2011

summer official

Rayzer, our current resident calendar brain, was delighted to realize we have "officially" reached summer as of yesterday.

We are currently in the thick of swimming lessons, which we now take one-on-one lessons from a dear friend at church in her neighborhood's pool. We do 1x weekly for 4 weeks and they each get a solid 1/2 hour by themselves. I feel it's much more cost effective than the "Y" lessons we've taken out here before- the kids barely got 8-10 minutes of personal time to work with a teacher and several times one of their teachers didn't even show up. We have other friends who live in this neighborhood also, so it allows us to stay and swim after lessons are over as their guests- yay! :)
(y'all are not going to BELIEVE how tall Sis is getting...and she likes to wear platform flip-flops which make it even more intimidating!!)
Father's Day fun: we got Daddy a little portable grill and a rare treat- STEAK to cook on it (rare in more ways than one! haha) Sundays are always busy since we have youth group in the afternoon/evening for over 4 hours and serving and worship in the morning. I'm glad Adam was able to come home for a couple of hours and have a steak with the fam. :)
Another item of note for calendar boy- Adam has instructed him that his bicycle riding lessons will happen "every day" in the summer. The kids are not totally fond of bicycle lessons because it's scary and they fall down sometimes. Rayzer has been probing his mother incessantly to learn just EXACTLY how many days we are going to count as summer- is it by the official calendar, or until school starts, or (when can I stop having bicycle lessons!?)

He's going to be soooo happy when he finally gets the hang of it. Especially since Adam took him off this tiny bike (in photo) and upgraded him to the larger one Xanman uses regularly. Rayzer is leaps and bounds taller than all our other kids at his age, so it makes good sense.
Sis is my handiwork diva! When the boys were at camp in early June, she helped paint 4 areas (including our master bedroom) and also slapped on the black goodness to our entryway bench. I've been meaning to do this for over a year.

THIS WEEK- Wilsonator is pressing me to get his room painted before Adam & Sis get back from camp. We may try to tackle it tonight. I feel a Nintendo/Mario theme coming on, but I told him we'd have to cut those decorative items from scrap wood in the garage, as I will NOT be painting them on the wall. (I learned after our last house that as soon as we go to all that work, we'll have to prepare to move and paint RIGHT over it about as quickly as it went up!)

4 comments:

Janna said...

Jackson is also in need of bike riding lessons, and neither of his parents are feeling like taking on the challenge. Perhaps I shall send him your way? ;o)

How very lovely to have a big girl helper to take on your painting projects! It is always an encouragement to me to see what Caroline is accomplishing and remind myself that a few more years and I may have a girl capable of taking on such tasks.

Have lots of summery fun!!

Anna said...

Looks like a fun and fruitful summer...can't wait to see you guys SOON! :)

Kathryn said...

Fun to sneak a peek at your summer happenings! Of course, I *love* the fact that Caroline is painting that bench black!!! :) We seem to be in a constant state of "bike swapping" as the boys keep growing like weeds. Nathan & Evan are very nearly the same height so hand me down bikes are going to be tough. YAY for Craigslist!

cheryl said...

I've not been bloggin' for quite some time now, but had to pop in to see if you took pictures of the 200 cinnamon rolls! Low and behold..I see Caroline painting the bench BLACK! You GO GIRL! Sand it down a little and rough it up...and you've got your prim on! : )
Great job!!!