Tuesday, August 30, 2011

end of August already?


It is hard to believe that September is upon us! We agree with many out there, that this seems the fastest summer ever to occur.
The picture above was a quick moment capturing one of the many lovely adventures in Nebraska over the month of July. We treasure the memory of each day there- the 4-wheeler rides with Crampaw Steve, Ashland shopping and museum with Grammy, a beautiful 50th anniversary party for the Johnson Grandparents (Adam's parents), bringing the KITTIES to Nebraska- they traveled quite well, I might add!
It was a neat adventure for the group of students who traveled with us to spend a week doing missions in Lincoln. They even got to come out to the Frahm farm to walk beans and fix a pivot tire!
We got 2 opportunities to spend time on a lake with a boat and a really fun tube. Once in Schuyler with Adam's neice and her family, once in Kentucky with my side of the family. Will ended up with a concussion from the 2nd lake experience! Thankfully, football is not a sport planned for his future (his choice)...this is his 2nd concussion in 12 months.
The kids LOVED the cousin time- we invaded Andy & Anna's on several occasions, as well as lots of fun time with the Johnson side cousins as we prepared for Grandpa & Grandma's party.
So now we are in the middle of our 3rd week of school! The kids all began the week of August 16th. Since Rayzer is bumped up this year, we have all the kids on their "odd" year- 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th grade.
Adam began his fall classes this past week, and on Tuesdays he is spending the day ON CAMPUS in Wake Forest (a 3 hour drive there). He is excited for the opportunity to take a campus class at the seminary he will be graduating from, but it definitely is a jaunt from that quick 30 minute commute to south Charlotte when we first moved here to attend the seminary there!
I am teaching LOTS and LOTS of Home Economics this school year in the Homeschool Co-op, and I'm truly excited about it- for several reasons. First, I get to use IHCC's Girls of Grace curriculum again! (I call it "Growing in Grace" since I have a few young men in my 3rd-5th grade group). We are weaving etiquette into this semester, and may even have a guest speaker come in to talk to us about southern cotillions. We will finish the semester at Christmastime with a formal dinner (well, lunch at school) with a properly set table and all the manners to go with it- let's hope!
I'm also teaching American Art and co-leading a PE class for the middle school range. The classeds have been great so far, and I think Sis is enjoying the ones she's in. Most of her school is coming from Connections_Academy, which is also a super transition for her/us this year.
Oh- one more thing...I just wanted to say I have THE BEST guy ever! He organized sitters for all 4 kids for a few days and whisked me away to the outer banks (NC- pre hurrican Irene) before the busy school year started, but after we got back from NE. This photo is our FIRST trip to the ocean withouth the stress of keeping 4 jolly children from drowning. We had a fabulously relaxing time, and hope that little place is still standing so we can visit again next year!

1 comment:

Janna said...

Fun to have an update on your clan! Yikes on Will's concussions--how scary!! And I love to hear you'll be teaching the home ec, that seems just perfect for you. ;o) Hope the easing into the fall schedule is a smooth one for you!