Tuesday, February 3, 2015

shifting gears~

My girl is nearly halfway through high school now, as this is the beginning of her second semester of 10th grade.

I was delighted that she agreed to let me take a snapshot of her all dressed up a couple of weeks ago (yes, this is all dressed up for her in this phase).  I guess I should be REALLY flattered that 90% of what she is wearing here is from my closet. ☺  We had gone out earlier that day to choose a new scarf to go with ensemble, but that is the only thing that I've agreed to let her store with her wardrobe.  I may borrow it later...

This year will clearly be a year marked with changes in our household.  By fall, we will have 3 teenagers living under the roof and keeping the pantry stock well rotated.  By summer it is likely that at least one of the teens will have a job (six applications have already been turned in as of January's end).  Within the past month, we have added yet another mobile line to our Ver.iz.on account and have had to wade through new waters of a teen boy's texting boundaries.

Back to the picture.  You see, this year (in April) also marks 20 years since Adam and I went on our first date.  Our girl had told us early on in middle school that she didn't see any reason to go on dates until she was 17 (or older).  She knew I had determined such when I was a teen, and while I didn't push that advice on her, and we didn't give her a hard and specific line on age, she came to that on her own.

So, naturally I reminded her of this when a certain invitation came her way in January.  I'm so thankful for our girl and her understanding just how important it is to think through these issues that get wrapped up around the heart and issues that are important to the Lord and His plans for each of our futures.  I will not go into detail of our conversations and decisions that came out of this, as those are for our family and for her to share on her own in her own time and choosing.

But I will say that she sat down with her daddy and me and we talked through this gear that seems now to have shifted in.  I will also say that it has been beautiful to see her beautiful, feminine side come more to the surface- the picture shows that very clearly.

We are praying that God will continually direct her steps, knowing that His timing, the lessons we learn and the ways we grow are often how we least expect.  He makes all things beautfiul in His time.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Great picture and great post!